header image.
KSYK is where bilingualism comes alive. Roosa

History

Kulosaari Secondary School was founded in 1940. It was the first Finnish language secondary school in East Helsinki. The school was founded by an engineer Heikki H. Herlin, government consellor J.W. Kahiluoto, senior teacher E.A. Saarimaa, Doctor Kustaa Vilkuna, engineer Kauko Kuoppamäki and attorney Ilmari Turja. The school was administered by a private company whose shareholders were residents of East Helsinki that were interested in education in Finnish.

On the 1st of October, 1940 a group of 22 students started in the secondary school's first grade. The school's first acting principal was Kyllikki Kovero MA, who also taught every subject except for choir in the first year. The upper secondary school opened in 1945 and the first students graduated in 1948. After the war, the number of students studying at Kulosaari Secondary School grew quickly. In the school year 1954-1955 there were 314 students. The number of teachers had grown to 11 permanent and 8 part-time teachers.

Initially the school did not have grounds of its own and teaching was conducted in the Domus building at Kulosaarentie 8. A 180 square meter apartment had been initially used for teaching, and by the last year that the school was located in the Domus building close to 1000 square meters were in use along with a building that functioned as a gym and hall.

When the Baby Boomers reached school age, the number of students at Kulosaari Secondary grew significantly and the Domus building's lack of space became unbearable. The school needed a building of its own. The new building's architect was Jorma Järvi. The new school building was opened on 12.11.1955. A remarkable feature of the building was the centrally located hall, that continues to function as needed as an auditorium and stage. The classes were arranged around the central hall. The new building however did not relieve the lack of space, since in 1959 the number of students had grown to no less than 699. A solution to the lack of space was to divide the teaching into morning and evening shifts. In 1956 the extension designed by the architect Osmo Lappo was put into use and relieved the space problems.

The latter part of 1970s saw the beginning of a period of almost 20 years when Kulosaari Secondary School's existence was under threat for a variety of reasons. Due to reforms in the comprehensive school system, private schools were not viewed as politically favourable and during the school reform period the intake of students was quite low. The existence of both the lower and upper secondary classes were in danger. Indeed, the upper secondary school's operations ceased temporarily during the years 1991-1995. The lower secondary school only managed to survive due to several arrangements. The school was permitted to continue operating temporarily and took charge of the teaching of year 10 and founded preparatory classes for the children of Ingrian.returnees. Since the school had good facilities and few students, space was rented to the International School for some years.

The 1990s brought with them changes to the school world. People started to become interested in language classes and internationalism. This gave Kulosaari Secondary School the opportunity to develop into the bilingual, international school that it is today. Principal Kyllikki Vilkuna lead the work that reformed the school. Foreign language education started out of small trials in some subjects and gradually expanded into a clearly defined system. The school today has Finnish speaking classes, bilingual classes and English speaking classes and in 1995 the upper secondary school recommenced teaching as an English language upper secondary school. Due to the large number of enrolments, the school was forced to expand once again. The extension designed by
Matti Pohjanpelto was finished in 2000.